I had two birthday celebrations to attend this past weekend and needed to bring something to share to each. I relied on the quick and simple layered taco dip but made a few changes to make it healthier. Here are my changes and recipe!
- Instead of using regular refried beans I used vegetarian refried beans as they don’t contain lard. If I have to consume lard I’d rather it be in the form of a dessert as opposed to beans. Something tells me you’d all agree.
- I used Greek yogurt in place of the cream cheese and sour cream base. Greek yogurt is thicker so that helps make up for the lack of cream cheese. It is also much, much healthier!
- In place of iceberg lettuce I used spinach for additional vitamins and fiber.
- I made my own taco seasoning following this simple recipe. You probably have all of these ingredients at home so save a buck and some excess sodium and skip the pre-made packet.
- Spread vegetarian refried beans across a pie dish or plate
- Mix 2 cups of plain Greek Yogurt with 3 T of taco seasoning and layer on top of bean base
- Sprinkle a handful of black beans on yogurt
- Top with 1/2 cup of shredded spinach
- Dice onions and add as you desire (I diced just a couple rings)
- Slice half of a large tomato into bite size pieces and drop across plate
- Garnish with finely shredded cheddar cheese
Is this the healthiest dish I could have made for these parties? No, of course not! One of my favorite things is taking a party favorite and make it healthier without drastically changing the taste or recipe. Was I able to accomplish that? Yes, of course!