October was a beautiful month in Des Moines and I was just a little sad to see it pass. The weather was perfect, the trees were beautiful, and I was able to spend time with family. It’s hard to believe it’s the second to last month of 2013. I’m welcoming November with open arms because really, what else can I do?
If you recall, every month I set a mini wellness goal to work towards. Last month it was to read for 30 minutes each day in hopes of reading 4 books by the end of October. I read every day for 30 minutes but only got through three books and part of a fourth. Overall I’m happy to be back in the habit of reading more regularly. About mid-month I couldn’t even recall what my goal was because it had already become a habit. It’s funny how that works!
My goal for November is two-fold. The first is to keep moving. When the seasons transition and I’m no longer as active outdoors I can get a little lazy with my workouts. I’m setting two exercise goals for this month as well:
- Start using the elliptical again after Muscle Mix!
- Utilize fitness apps on the weekends!
The second is that I want to keep reminding myself of the many things I have in life to be thankful for. I think a lot of times it’s easy to be overwhelmed with small stressors and completely overlook the wonderful things right before my eyes. Here’s just a few things I’ve been thankful for in this last week:
- I’m thankful that I have a job that allows me to dress up for Halloween!
- I’m thankful for my friend Erin who let me go trick-or-treating with her daughter.
- I’m thankful for Ruth, a special friend of mine who passed away last week. She was like a grandmother to me and brought a lot of joy to my life, both as a little kid and throughout my adulthood. While I’m sad about her passing, I know that my life is better because of her and I have a lot of photos and notes and memories of her I keep close to my heart.
What are you focusing on this month? Tell me one thing you’re very thankful for!